Advantages of power transistor are some of the given below:
- It is very easy to turn ON and turn OFF the power transistor.
- The power transistor can carry large currents in ON state and block very high voltage in OFF state.
- The power transistor can be operated at switching frequencies in range of 10 to 15 kHz.
- ON state voltage drops across power transistor is low.
- It can be used to control power delivered to the load, in inverters and choppers.
Disadvantages of power transistor are some of the given below:
- The power transistor cannot be operating satisfactorily above switching frequency of 15 kHz.
- It can be damaged due to thermal runway or second breakdown.
- It has reverse blocking capacity is very low.