We have many semiconductor materials in use. But why we use most of the SILICON for manufacturing the ICs (Integrated Circuit). For this may have a following reasons-
- It is chemically simple and is not subjected to compound or stoichiometric effect.
- Silicon is a semiconductor which is plentiful with the right band-gap and it is easily purified and able to be doped to make it n region or p region.
- It can comfortable at higher temperature up to 180oC
- It is grows as stable oxide.
- Silicon is possible to grow large single crystals.
- It has very few crystalline imperfections because of highly developed silicon technology.