There are some important characteristics of class-B amplifier which are given below,
- The operating point is located at or very near the collector cut off voltage.
- The collector current flows only for one half of the cycle of the input signal.
- The collector current is zero when there is no input signal.
- The transistor dissipates no power with zero input signals. But, it increases with the increase in the amplitude of input signal.
- The average current drawn by this circuit in class-B operation is smaller than that in class-A amplifier.
- The maximum possible collector efficiency is about 50%.
- The maximum possible overall efficiency is 78.5%.
- The a.c output power is large.