A magnetic flux is defined as the total number of magnetic lines of forces passing through a given medium, so the flux lines are the imaginary lines which indicate the directions of magnetic force.
S.I unit of magnetic flux is Weber (Wb)
Properties of magnetic flux lines
- Each flux lines forms a closed circuit.
- Each flux line comes out of the N-pole of the magnet and enters the S-pole after completing the external circuit.
- It completes the loop by passing from S and N poles through the magnet.
- The flux lines never cross or intersect each other.
- The flux lines passing in the same directions repel each other and other and those passing in the opposite directions attract each other.
- The flux lines behave just like the curved elastic bands trying to become straight and as short as possible.