There are some advantages of RTD (resistance temperature detector) which are given below,
- The RTD can be easily installed and replaced.
- It is available in wide range.
- The RTD can be used to measure differential temperature.
- They are suitable for remote indication.
- Stability maintained over long period of time.
- No necessity of temperature compensation.
There are some disadvantages of RTD (resistance temperature detector) which are given below,
- The RTD require more complex measurement circuit.
- It is affected by shock and vibration.
- Bridge circuit is needed with power supply.
- Slower response time than a thermocouple.
- Large bulb size.
- Possibility of self heating.
- Higher Initial cost.
- Sensitivity is low.
Resistance temperature detector