There are some advantages of series inductor (L) filter which are given below,
- The series inductor (L) filter reduces the ripple in the DC output of rectifier circuit.
- It has no surge current through diode.
- It has low ripple factor at heavy load currents i.e. low load resistance.
There are some disadvantages of series inductor (L) filter which are given below,
- It cannot be used with half wave rectifier, but it is to be always used with full wave rectifier.
- It gives low output DC voltage for larger value of inductance.
- It has poor voltage regulation.
- It has high ripple factor for light loads i.e. small load currents.
- It is not suitable for light loads as ripple factor is directly proportional to the load resistance RL.
- It produces audible noise.
- It is bulky and more costly.