Advantages and disadvantages of transformer coupled amplifier
Category: Electronics Articles
25 May 17
There are some advantages of transformer coupled amplifier which are given below,
- The transformer coupled amplifier provides a higher voltage gain than that of R.C. coupled amplifier.
- There is loss of signal power in the collector or base resistors because the DC resistance of the primary winding is very low.
- It gives an excellent impedance matching between the stages.
There are some disadvantages of transformer coupled amplifier which are given below,
- It has poor frequency response.
- It introduces frequency distortion when used at radio frequencies.
- The coupling transformer is expensive, bulky and large when used at audio frequencies.
- The transformer introduces losses in the form of copper loss, eddy current loss and hysteresis loss at high frequencies.