Properties of biodiesel
- It is free from S and aromatic compounds.
- It is biodegradable and it is nontoxic.
- Its cetane number ranges from 45 to 63 depending on the type of vegetable oil used for preparation.
- Its density is in the range of 0.86 to 0.88.
- Its cloud point is in the range of + 10 to + 13 C.
- Its kinematic viscosity is in the range of 3.6 to 5.7 at 37.8 C.
Advantages of biodiesel
- It can be prepared from renewable resources.
- The amount of fuel gas obtain by burning of biodiesel is comparatively less than the fuel gas obtained from petroleum diesel.
- On burning it does not rise the level of CO2 in the environment e.g. not responsible for greenhouse effect. This is because the organic carbon present I biodiesel is formed by photosynthesis reaction.
- When petroleum diesel is blended with 20% biodiesel, it gives the best performance in diesel engine with less smoke formation.