The advantages of LPG are
- It is non-toxic, non- corrosive in nature.
- It burns cleanly and has high octane rating i.g. more than 100 RON (Research Octane Number).
- LPG engines have less knocking/ vibration.
- It does not produce harmful emission like CO, NOx and higher hydrocarbons.
- Particulate emissions are also less. So frequent cleaning of the combustion chamber is not required.
The disadvantages of LPG are
- It causes suffocation, in case of leakage as it heavier than air.
- It is hazardous as it inflammable gas.
- It is consumed more as it has low energy density.
- It does not provide power to the vehicle in mountains or rough terrains.
- It is costlier than CNG.
- It has to be supplied in a heavy steel cylinder.