Advantages of tidal energy
- It is pollution free.
- It greenhouse rate greenhouse gases or solid wastes.
- It is inexhaustible and independent of rain.
- Tides are more predictable than wind.
- It a does not require a large area of valuable land as is located on sea shore or tidal basin.
Disadvantages of tidal energy
- For practical use, the difference in sea level between high and low tide should be at least 4 meters.
- The salinity of seawater has a corrosive effect on the machinery installed.
- The capital cost of the plant is high and construction in sea or estuaries are difficult.
- Power transmission cost is high and use of tidal energy on small scale is not feasible.
- Tidal power plant hampers other uses of fishing, aquaculture and navigation.