Scope for achieving energy conservation in the electrical power system can be identified mainly at:
- Residential as well as commercial lighting which has signification energy usage.
- Motor loads in industrial sectors.
- Apart from these transmission and distribution sectors which are not actually a load but consumes energy in the form of losses.
- Use of devices such as occupancy sensors/motion detectors, dimmers or intelligent centralized control equipment leads to a noticeable reduction in energy usage as it encourages use only according to necessary sufficient intensity and not when space unoccupied.
- Advanced starters and power factors controllers with electrical motors achieve better energy conservation in industrial sectors.
- Control of maximum demand and kVAR in the transmission and distribution system can be achieved by the installation of maximum demand controller and kVAR controllers.