- The condenser needs large amount of cooling water to condense the steam.
- This cooling water is circulated from lake or river, by means of circulating water pump and is returned back to the source.
- If sufficient quantity of water is water is not available , it should be cooled and reused again and again.
- In such cases, water is obtained from a tube a tube-well or other source and stored in a tank.
- It is then pumped into the condenser, where it absorbs latent heat from the exhaust steam and becomes hot and the hot water is passed to a cooling tower.
- The cooling tower is a structure usually made up of concrete.
- The hot water from the condenser is fed to the tower at the top and is sprayed.
- Air flow from bottom to the top.
- The water drops falling from the top come in contact with air, loose heat to the air and gets cooled.
Cooling water cycle