There are two types of re-lamping:
- Groups re-lamping
- Sport re-lamping
- Group re-lamping is a preventive approach.
- In this lamps are replaced to ensure a light level
- lamps in the area reach 80% of their rated life.
- Burnouts start to take place.
- The light output of a lamp is greatly depreciated.
For group relamping, to decide the proper time to replace,
- Keep the data and assess the lighting level in all areas especially after the installations of new lamps.
- Monitor the change in light levels using lux meter by conducting periodic checking of light output.
- Sports re-lamping is run to failure approach.
- In sport re-lamping lamp replacement done to avoid damage to ballasts
- It spots to operate without anticipation.
- It fails to light up after switching ON.
- This is not the best policy as it waits until the lamp fails.
- The lamp may fail randomly and increases with age as well.