Major works of civil engineering in which cement is used are as follows:
- Cement is a binding material used to bind different type of construction materials together. It is formed from argillaceous, siliceous, calcareous etc.
- Cement is primarily used to produce concrete, the world’s most versatile and durable construction material. Some other applications for cement, however, are now growing in importance.
- It is always desirable to use the best cement in constructions. Therefore, the properties of a cement must be investigated.
- Cement is a very useful binding material in construction. The applications of cement over various fields of construction have made it a very important civil engineering material.
- It is used in mortar for plastering, masonry work, pointing, etc.
- Construction of buildings : ordinary Portland cement is generally used for making cement mortar and concrete.
- Construction of highway slabs: – Rapid hardening cement.
- Construction of dams, retaining walls, bridge abutment (mass concrete): low heat cement
- Marine structure and other underground works: Blast furnace slag cement.
- Canal lining culverts or structures where the surface is exposed to server sulfate resisting cement.
- Terrazzo surface, face plasters, ornamental works: white and color current.
- Quick Setting Cement:-In underwater constructions, In cold and rainy weather conditions.
Uses of cement