SCADA (supervisory control and data acquisition) is a software package that is positioned on top of a real-time control system to control a process that is external to the SCADA system.
SCADA system includes input-output signal hardware, controllers, human-machine interfacing [HMI], networks, communications, databases and software. SCADA monitors and controls entire sites or complex system spread out over large areas. It can store data and also control them effectively.
In process industry many enterprises are going on for manufacturing resources planning [MRP] and enterprise resource planning (ERP) system in the business for :
- Elimination of duplicated data system throughout the enterprise.
- To provide preventative and cost-effective maintenance scheduling.
- To provide more accurate and timely data to support the business process.
- To implement uniform business strategies throughout the organization in ERP system.
- To minimize the effective lifetime cost of the process control system and process.
- To achieve above objective the supervisory control system is designed on the standard level and to the proprietary level also. This is called as the SCADA.as the name indicates it is not a full control system but it rather it focuses on the supervisory level.