A building is defined as any structure for that so ever purpose and of what so ever materials constructed and every part thereof whether used as human habitation or not and includes foundations, plinth, walls, floors, roofs, chimneys, plumbing and buildings services, fined platform, verandah balcony cornice or projection, part of a building or anything affixed thereto or any wall enclosing or intended to enclose any land or space.
- Building construction, the techniques, and industry involved in the assembly and erection of structures, primarily those used to provide shelter.
- Building construction is an ancient human activity. It began with the purely functional need for a controlled environment to moderate the effects of climate. Constructed shelters were one means by which human beings were able to adapt themselves to a wide variety of climates and become a global species.
- Structures comprised of pillars, beams, and tie-beams made of reinforced concrete or iron.
- The structural system of every house is required to support and transmit various loads.
These Loads can be classed as :
- Static Loads
- Dynamic Loads
Buildings are classified into nine groups based on occupancy as follows:
- Group A: Residential buildings
- Group B: Education buildings
- Group C: Institutional buildings
- Group D: Assembly buildings
- Group E: Business buildings
- Group F: Mercantile buildings
- Group G: Industrial buildings
- Group H: Storage buildings
- Group I: Hazardous buildings