The advantages of bio-degradable lubricants are-
- High viscosity index: it ensures that the lubricants remain effective at high temperature by maintaining the thickness of the oil film.
- High flashpoint: it considerably reduces the risks of fire due to lubricants leak.
- Less lubricants are not through evaporation: it saves the amount of money spent on lubricants.
- Low pour point and viscosity levels that remain low at temperature: ensuring excellent lubricants for cold starts.
- Higher bio-degradability and very less to zero toxicity.
The disadvantages of bio-degradable are as follows-
- Oxidizes easily.
- The free acid generated due to oxidation may increase corrosion.
- They have a tendency to dissolve rubber seals and gaskets.
- They are costly as compared to mineral oil.
- Polyglycolic are water soluble and hamper lubrication of machine parts.