Advantages and disadvantages of digital multimeter
Category: Electrical Articles 25 Jan 18
Following are the advantages of digital multimeter :
- They are having high input impendence, So there is no loading effect.
- They are having higher accuracy.
- An unambiguous reading is obtained.
- The output can be interfaced with external equipment.
- They are available in smaller sizes.
- It can be used for measurement of A.C. and D.C. both quantity.
- It can be used for measurement of various parameters such as resistance, voltage, current etc.
- It has sensitivity of 20 kΩ/V which is fairy high.
- Measurement of quantities with different range can be possible.
- It is small in size or compact.
- It is very simple to use unlike analog multimeter as results are displayed in numeric value directly and user need not have to read manually from the scale.
Following are the disadvantages of digital multimeter:
- The LCD display depends on a battery or external power source. When the battery is low, the display will be dim, making it difficult to read.
- There is a voltage l imitation. If it is increased beyond the limit, the meter will be damaged.
- It is more expensive than the analog type.
- It should be used as per manufacturer specified measurement range and as per category rating. Failing to do this will case damage to the equipment and also cause personal injury.