- By using gear trains, large velocity ratio can be obtained with minimum space.
- Gears are mechanically strong, so higher loads can be lifted.
- Gears are used for transmission of large H.F.
- They are used for transmitting motion over small centre distance of shafts
- They are used for large reduction in speed and for transmission of torque.
- Gears require only lubrication, hence less maintenance is required.
- Using gear systems, we can transmit motion between non-parallel intersecting shafts.
- They are used for positive drive, so its velocity ratio remains constant.
- They have long life, so the gear system is very compact.
Disadvantages of gears
- They are not suitable for large velocities.
- They are not suitable for transmitting motion over a large distance.
- Due to the engagement of toothed wheel of gears, some part of machine may get permanently damaged in case of excessive loading.
- They have no flexibility.
- Gear operation is noisy.