Advantages of geothermal energy
- The cost of the land build a geothermal power plant is usually less expensive.
- The plant occupies less space.
- No fuel is used for power, rate the power, reducing the running costs for the plants.
- Geothermal energy is simple, cheap and renewable in nature.
- Geothermal energy is almost inexhaustible as earth’s interior will continue to cool.
Disadvantages of geothermal energy
- It may cause air pollution if the steam containing SO2 escapes in the atmosphere.
- Hot steam and water coming to the surface of the earth contain salt and sulfur compounds, hence is corrosive.
- To the turbine and other equipment.
- Hot water when released in surface water may be ecologically hazardous.
- Source of heat is unlimited but groundwater is not.
- Drilling operations are noisy and costly (as the wells are deep)