Advantages and disadvantages of nuclear power station
Category: Electrical Articles 9 Jan 18
The advantages of nuclear power station are as follows:
- The amount of fuel is quite small, hence there is a considerable saving in the lost of fuel transportation, storage, etc.
- A nuclear power station required less space as compared to any other conventional type of power station of the same rating.
- It has low running charges as fuel required is very less.
- This type of power station is economical for producing bulk power.
- Nuclear power station can be located near the load centers, because it does not require large quantities of water and need not be near coal mines.
- Nuclear power plant are not affected by adverse weather conditions.
- There are large quantity of nuclear fuel all over the word.
The disadvantages of nuclear power station are as follows:
- The capital cost of a nuclear power station is very high as compared to other types of power station.
- Maintenance cost of plant is high.
- The fuel used in nuclear power station is expensive and is difficult to recover.
- Generation cost per unit is more.
- Nuclear power plant not suitable for supplying power to variable load.
- The fission bi-products are generally radioactive and may cause dangerous amount of radioactive pollution.