The characteristics of good propellant are as follows-
- It should have specific impulse (thrust delivered divide by the rate of propellant burnt).
- It should produce low molecular weight. Non-toxic gases products (CO, CO2, N2) only on combustion.
- It should burn at a slow and steady but predictable rate.
- It should possess low ignition delay (time taken by the propellant to catch fire in presence of oxidant)
- It should have high density.
- It should be stable over wide range of temperature.
- It should not detonate under shock, heat or impact.
- It should be non-corrosive and non-hygroscopic.
- It should produce high temperature on combustion.