- In this type of rotor, the rotor drum is provided with a number of circular holes, which are parallel to the shaft.
- Solid copper or aluminium bars are placed in these holes and all bars are welded to the two end rings to establish bars electrical contact between them.
- The bars and the end rings together look like a cage and hence such a rotor is called cage rotor or squirrel, Cage rotor.
- Due to short-circuiting of bars through end rings, rotor terminals are not accessible to the user.
- So no external connection can be made to the cage type rotor, therefore it is not possible to connect external resistance to the rotor.
Squirrel cage rotor