Broadly enclosures are categorized as :
- Open type
- Totally enclosed type
- Motor with open enclosures provides air cooling of motor windings as it features ventilation openings to allow the same.
- The common type of this is open drip proof motor in which is designed such that ventilation openings will not allow particles and water to enter into the motor.
- Totally enclosed type motors are specially designed for servers environments which contain a lot of ducts, dirt and wood chips.
- These motors do not allow air exchanges between in and outside of the motor.
- Totally enclosed fan cooled motor include fan at the end opposite to that from which load draws air.