A dam can be defined as an impervious barrier or an obstruction built across a natural stream or river to store the water on upstream of it up to a certain level. The dam is constructed to serve many useful purposes.
Benefits of dam
- The stored water can be used for irrigation.
- It forms a very good source of water supply.
- It can be useful for flood control.
- The dam with its surroundings provides a good place for picnic, boating, swimming and skilling and also a place of tourism importance.
- The reservoir provides a good place for fisheries breathing a fish which helps to strengthen the economy of the country.
- It helps navigation.