- This winding is used for large DC machines to reduce the fluctuations in load. Like in case of turbogenerator and rolling mill motors.
- Their functions are to neutralize the cross magnetizing effect of armature reaction.
- This compensating winding is present in slots provided in front of pole shoe faces.
- This winding is connected winding in series with the armature winding to reduce the effect of armature reaction.
- This effect reduces when the emf developed by the armature and compensating winding is opposite in direction.
- This can be achieved by providing the current in opposite direction in the armature and compensating winding.