Advantage of semiconductor diode over vaccum tubes
- The semiconductor diode has very small interelectrode capacitances.
- This is very important in high frequency application.
- The semiconductor diode does not produce any current in the absence of applied voltage.
- It has a smaller size and lighter weight.
- It has less power consumption.
- It operates at low voltage.
- In the wiring it can be easily incorporated.
- This cannot be done with vacuum tubes.
- It has a long life and is robust in construction.
- It doesn’t require warm up time for operation.
Disadvantages of semiconductor diode
- It has reverse saturation current.
- It cannot withstand high reverse voltage.
- It has poor response.
- In high frequency rang Noise level is higher in semiconductor device.