Advantages of amorphous metal in the transformer
- Less no-load losses: No load losses are 20 to 30% less as compared to a conventional silicon steel sheet transformer which keeps occurring for the lifetime despite transformer load.
- Easy repair: its modular construction makes repair easy and fast.
- Better overload capacity: Overload capacity is better as heat generation is less due to less loss and obviously less effect on aging of insulation.
- Better distribution efficiency: distributions efficiency increases due to reduced no-load loss.This can save monetary investments in generations capacity concern.
- Environmental caretaker: Also contributes to the protection of the environment as it lowers the emission of CO2 and SO2 as result of reduced generation need.
- The final product in the ribbon form is brittle and narrow continuous.To cut this into section is a tough job. Hence preferred to be manufactured as a hollow cylindrical wound core of single continuous strip.
- The larger cross-section of the core is required for same power and rating of silicon steel lamination. this is due to less useable peak magnetic field intensity in the amorphous core. Also causes added weight and size.
- With the large size of core longer, winding conductors are obvious which causes increased load losses.