Advantages, disadvantages and applications of induction generator
There are some advantages of induction generator which are given below.
- The induction generator is smaller in size per kilowatt output power.
- It needs less auxiliary equipment.
- Parallel operation is possible without hunting.
- The induction generator has self-protection feature. In the case of the short circuit, if a fault occurs on its terminals, the excitation fails, and the machine stops the generation itself.
There are some disadvantages of induction generator which are given below.
- The major limitation of an induction generator is that it requires reactive volt-amperes from the auxiliary equipment.
There are some important applications of induction generator which are given below.
- Induction generator is used to supply additional power to a load in a remote area that is being supplied by a weak transmission line.
- It is used with the alternative energy sources, such as windmills or with energy recovery systems in the industrial processes.