- To measure horizontal and vertical angles.
- To obtain the horizontal distance, inclined distance and vertical distance between these points.
- To get the three-dimensional co-ordinates i.e.[x,y,z] of a point in space.
- To find the length of a missing the line.
- To find the elevation of the remote object.
- To locate the points at a predetermined distance along gridlines.
- A total station is an electronic/optical instrument used in modern surveying and building construction that uses electronic transit theodolite in conjunction with electronic distance meter (EDM). It is also integrated with the microprocessor, electronic data collector, and storage system.