There are properties of coarse aggregate such as :
- It should be clean, dense and cubical in shape.
- It should be free from silt, clay and coal residues.
- It should not contain any organic and other admixtures.
- It should be sharp, course and angular to have good interlocking property.
- It should be free from thin, flat elongated flaky or splinter particle.
- The size of the aggregates should be such that the voids in the coarse aggregates are completely filled up by.
- Fine aggregates and the voids in the fine aggregates are complete.
- Filled up with cement and water to get dense concrete.
- The coarse aggregates used in the surface course of road work must withstand the high magnitude of load, stresses, wear and tear due to the abrasive action of traffic.
- It should not hard enough to resist wear and tear due to the abrasive action of the moving vehicles.
- It should not disintegrate under adverse weather condition including alternate wet dry and freeze-thaw cycle.
- Its specific gravity should be more than 27.