- In some motor driven systems, the load varies with time.
- A Large amount of energy can be saved using a variable frequency drive(VFD).
- VFDs belongs to a group of equipment called adjustable speed drives or variable speed drives.
- VFD changes the frequency of the supply voltages to vary the operating speed of motors.
- Thus continuous process speed control can be achieved.
- Motor-driven systems are often designed to handle peak loads that have a safety factor.
- Therefore, when the system is operated for a long period at a reduced load, that have a safety factor.
- By adjusting motor speed closer matching of motor output to load can be achieved, which results in energy savings.
- The speed of standard inductions motor can be controlled by variations of the frequency of the voltage applied to the motor.
Variable frequency drive