The factions of lubricants are as follows-
- It reduces frictional; resistance between metallic surfaces.
- It reduces maintenance and running cost of machines.
- It reduces local heating of sliding metal shut down conditions by avoiding direct contact with atmospheric gases with the machine parts.
- It acts as a seal preventing entry of dirt, dust and moisture.
- It acts as a coolant in transformers, drilling and cutting of metals by tools.
- It acts as a cleaning agent to wash off solid particles produced combustion.
- It acts as a hydraulic fluid in aircraft.